Recent Storm Damage Posts
Storm Damage Restoration Process
Violent weather such as storm damage can wreak havoc on buildings as well as vegetation. Wind damage can be a hazard to the structure of a building, by loosening the shingles or tiles on the roof. This can cause moisture such as rain and snow to infiltrate into the protective surface of the roof, which will result in the wood swelling and later on disintegration and becoming moldy. This outcome will lead to a sagging ceiling and further problems. Elements such as wind, rain, hail, and lightning can result in turning people’s lives upside down, this is why having a storm damage restoration service to help this type of emergency is a good option.
Here are some of the activities you can expect from the storm restoration service professionals.
- Whether it is a business or residence, the restoration company will come to your property and their trained experts will do a thorough examination of the interior and exterior of your building. This will help them discover the level of the damage. In many cases, the restoration company will discuss the renovation plans with you and your insurance adjuster.
- When everything is agreed upon, the work begins. Depending on what type of damage is present, this will determine the type of equipment the professional will use. In the case of flooding, they will use specialized pumps and vacuums to remove water from the affected areas.
- Generators will be brought in to operate their dehumidifiers and air movers so mold and mildew do not have a change to make matters worse. Using customized cleaners, the specialist will then disinfect hard surfaces and shampoo salvageable carpets as well as apply deodorant to combat any odors.
Important Facts About Wind Damage
There are many areas of the United States that have experienced heavy winds and storms this season and the strong powerful winds can cause significant damage to a home. Wind damage and water damage are the most common results of a heavy storm and it is important to contact a storm damage restoration professional as soon as the storm is over to help limit and repair the damage. Wind damage can happen to your home directly from the strong wind or indirectly from the wind blowing debris into your house. These wind damage facts will help you better understand the potential for wind damage and how to prevent it.
Wind Type Varies by Storm and Causes Different Degrees of Wind Damage
Thunderstorms are the most common source of wind and storm damage but winds from hurricanes or tornadoes are stronger and can cause more severe damage. It is important to know when a storm is approaching your area and what type of storm it is so you know the potential and level of damage to expect. Thunderstorms are responsible for over half of all wind damage cases in the U.S. but the storm damage repair may be more costly for hurricane or tornado wind damage.
Characteristics of the Wind Affect the Wind Damage
The wind has many characteristics that differ depending on the situation. Some characteristics to take into account include speed, direction, and duration of the gusts and recognizing them can help you protect your home and property effectively from wind damage. Recognizing the characteristics of the wind can also help you determine how much potential damage to expect.
Preventing Wind and Storm Damage
Most wind damage is caused by flying debris either from plants or other structures and objects that are not secured. If a storm is approaching your area, make sure any potential debris around your home such as patio furniture, toys, garbage cans, and other objects are either secured or brought inside. Your doors and windows should also be secured to help minimize the potential storm damage to the home.
How To Prepare Your Home For A Storm
Quick guide to preparing for a storm
- Ensure your drains and gutters are clear of debris to prevent blockages.
- If safe to do so, check your pipes and water tanks are insulated to prevent freezing and that the release point of overflow pipes is not obstructed. Ideally, you'll have a regular maintenance programm in place.
- Cut back trees and branches to minimise the risk of falling branches.
- Secure loose fences.
- Check that roof tiles and aerials are secure if you can do this safely. It may be worth seeking professional advice.
- Make sure garden furniture and ladders are secured in case of high winds, or locked away in the shed or even inside your house.
- When you know a bad storm is on its way with warnings about gale-force winds and floods, make sure children, pets and your family and neighbors are safe. Make sure you're indoors when it hits and don’t try and repair damage during a storm.
Always be cautious when undertaking any task that you're not fully familiar with as you could injure yourself or those around you, seek professional help where required.
So, this winter, make sure you're storm ready. Secure loose objects such as ladders and garden furniture. Close and secure all windows and doors. Check on loved ones before a storm strikes, but once it arrives, stay indoors. Do not try to drive or move around outside near trees or buildings that could collapse.
SERVPRO of Woodcrest/El Cerrito/Lake Matthews offers inspections to make sure your home or business is storm ready. Call us at (951) 398-3240 for more information.
Protect Yourself From Storm Damage
Storms can be severe and leave a trail of destruction in their wake from flooding, strong winds and lightning.
Insurance claim costs are estimated to have reached astronomical amounts, with households suffering millions more dollars of uninsured financial losses dealing with the aftermath of those violent storms.
Worryingly, changing weather patterns means these damaging wind storms could become a regular winter staple, sweeping into parts of the country even earlier in the season. Preparing your home to cope can help to limit the damage that a storm may cause, including from flooding.
Thankfully, weather forecasting has improved and knowing if bad weather is on its way can be helpful in getting your house storm ready.
Did you know?
- The annual cost of storm damage can amount to millions each year.
- Thunderstorms develop when the atmosphere is unstable – typically forming a ‘cumulonimbus’ (rain/storm) cloud.
- These large clouds (often accompanied by large gusts of wind) can form in under an hour if the conditions are right – meaning there may not be much time before the storm hits!
When Storms or Floods Hit Woodcrest/El Cerrito/Lake Matthews SERVPRO is Ready!
SERVPRO ofWoodcrest/El Cerrito/Lake Matthews specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Riverside County, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 951-398-3240